Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Not feeling well


I am so sorry that everytime that I think of updating Penny's blog, she's not feeling well. Well, I did want to update the blog with pictures of her on the Oregon coast during Valentine's weekend, but Rick has all the pictures -- and only about six of them. Both R and I ruined our cameras that weekend. This picture is taken with a cell phone.

But a couple of weeks before we left for our long weekend getaway, Penny had blood in her stool. I took her to Dr. Heino and there were too many variables to really pinpoint what was going on. Was it her new food, which had grain in it and made her poop lots more? Was it the salmon oil which was helping her coat, but could have been irritating her bowels? Was it visit to the dog park, where one of her favorite games was jumping in the mud puddles while I yelled, Penny get out of there! I had brought in a fecal sample so Dr. Heino sent it in.

I also went back to her old food and quit the salmon oil. The fecal came back positive for giardia, so Miss P was put on antibiotics. Metronidazole, which is about 70% effective. I was to provide another sample when the antibiotics was done.

So, she took her antibiotics, we went to Bandon, Oregon, and Penny had a blast. Her poop was normal. But a week ago, she had a bit of blood two times in a row, right after I started feeding her fish oil again. Suspicious timing so I quit the fish oil.

I brought in a fecal sample on Monday.

I also talked to a friend about her food on Monday. Penny eats Evo, a very high protein food that has all sorts of apples, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, etc. Since I was concerned about food sensitivity, perhaps I should change her kibble to a more simple one protein/one carb diet. So I bought a small bag. I switched to her new food (15% new food/85% old food at about 5 yesterday.

Today, she woke up puking. The vet called with positive results again for giardia. I asked for an appointment and I told Dr. Heino what I am writing here. Before we give her more antibiotics (either a stronger and longer dose of the Metronidazole or something else), perhaps we should do blood work to see if there's something going on that's causing her to be more sensitive.

So, here I am tonight, waiting for the bloodwork. I'll call tomorrow if I haven't heard.

In the meantime, Penny is occasionally dry heaving and looks uncomfortable.
UPDATE: Penny has kennel cough and will be on a new kind of antibiotic.

1 comment:

Write as Rain said...

Kennel cough? Where did that come from? Something left behind at your vacation spot or from interactions at the dog park? So sorry the sweet girl is sick again. :(