Saturday, May 24, 2008

A late spring evening

As I sit here, typing this, Penny is lying at my feet, breathing heavy on Rick's fir floors. She is tuckered out. We spent the day at Ideal, me getting trained on ringing the cash register, while she lay panting on her circle bed.

After we left Ideal, we went over to Rick's for salmon and a salad. But first, I thought I'd read a bit of the War of Art in Rick's patio, called the Duwamish Room. It's a cement brick floor with an arbor of grape vines above, furnished with rustic furniture. In my mind's eye, I saw Penny lying at my feet like she does inside a house. So, knowing that Dr. Walker said that she couldn't hurt the plates in her leg, I thought I'd let her off leash.

She became a whirling dervish. Running, moving. jumping. She wouldn't listen to me. I just let her go. She never did sit beside me on the patio. But, she did slow down enough to roll on the grass, dig a few holes, and get a little dirty.

We'll see how she feels tomorrow.

No comments: