Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stairs again

I changed my appointment with Dr. Walker from next week to this week to see if any serious damage was done to Penny's knee. So, Penny and I went to see her today. She was charming as usual (and laughing at Penny's reaction to the coyotes that are marking the area around the house. Penny doesn't want to go up the bike trail anymore.)

The vet staff took x-rays and Dr. Walker came in to show them to me. We even got to compare the current x ray to the one that was taken when we found out about the hairline fracture to the original one. Penny's leg looks great in terms of the bone. Where the bone had been blocky from the surgery, it's now filled out. And the fracture hasn't shifted, which also could have happened with this sort of complication.

Penny is released to do nearly all activities -- slowly. Still no off leash time, but that hasn't mattered to me. But, we'll again increase the amount of time she's walking (we quit trying to get her to walk in the coyote infested area once she injured herself playing.) What this really means is that I get to sleep in my own bed again, not on cushions next to the X pen. Yippee! I can also have people over without having to explain about the dog, the X pen, the surgery.... The X pen does take up the majority of the walking space in the living room.

In three weeks, I am supposed to check in with Dr. Walker by phone and if all is well, she'll be released to be off leash for 5 minutes increasing to more. Since her come command is still one of her weakest, Rick suggested just having her on a longer leash while we once again work on her come.

Since Penny's been on a diet, she's become more food focused. Maybe that will help with the come command! I am sure I will have more to report on THAT!

No comments: