Thursday, May 8, 2008

More setbacks

Penny has been so calm and accommodating when I ask her to get in her pen or walk slow that you can forget that she's a young dog with a drive that causes her to forget about pain when she gets going.

I try to outsmart her when I see signs of her getting excited. But, I haven't been good at reminding others that she needs to be kept quiet and heal.

On Tuesday, I have class. It's a 10 week class from 6 - 9:45 pm. It's nice to have a structured event. For the past two weeks, I had feldenkrais method physical therapist at 3:30-5, which doesn't leave me time to pick up Penny. The first week, Rick picked up Penny. Two days ago, another friend offered to take her.

While I was at class, this friend went to another friend's house who has a dog that Penny adores. They let Penny run free with this dog, not for five minutes, not for 10 minutes, but for about an hour. When I heard, I was apprehensive, but said we'd see what happened in the morning. Penny seemed all right, but the leg grew more wobbly as the day went on. When I saw the leg, I was sickened. Penny doesn't act comfortable on it.

All of this time, all of this money, potentially wasted. I cried in the car. Penny cried the next night. I gave her pain killers. She got diarrhea. I don't know whether it was the painkillers, the nontypical food, or just being out of her routine that caused her tummy to flare up again.

I blame myself. I am ultimately responsible for her. This friend knows about Penny's surgery and has been invaluable in her help in Penny's recovery. She's not stupid -- she just made a spur of the moment decision, which was bad. She was not thinking, which we all do once in a while. And, Penny did enjoy herself. But, I know the consequences. Penny doesn't tie the pain and the jumping around together. So she is suffering.

Once again, she is fasting. I will feed her turkey, rice, spinach, and cottage cheese tomorrow if she doesn't have any more diarrhea. She's hungry and wanting to eat everything.

I will take her to the doc if her diarrhea continues past tomorrow. I will make an appointment with the surgeon if her leg doesn't look better by Monday.

On a positive note, another friend sent a check toward Penny's surgery. I am blessed by people's generosity.

No comments: