Thursday, February 28, 2008

Penny is dropped off at ACCES

Penny and I showed up at Animal Critical Care and Emergency Services at just before 8 this morning.

When we arrived, Penny clad in her pink coat, Penny was greeted by name. She wagged her tail, happy to be acknowledged. I was told to weigh her, which I did, but because it was in kilograms, I didn't pay attention. I can't tell you how much she weighed.

Then came the paperwork. I had to indicate whether I wanted her resuscitated if something went wrong (I said I wanted basic CPR, no advanced treatments like heart surgery) and then I had to pay the minimum estimated cost for the surgery.

While I was doing paperwork, a lovely woman came in with a irregularly shaped box. Penny growled. I've never known her to growl at a woman. The woman stopped, said hi to Penny and reached out a hand to pet her. Penny wagged her tail like she was only kidding, and the woman continued walking toward the back. I said to the receptionist that she must be nervously guarding because she doesn't growl often. The receptionist said that veterinarians, even their vets, can be scary. I really liked the interaction between Penny and the woman vet. The vet didn't see Penny as vicious and took the time to meet her. It's a good sign.

Back to the paperwork. For some reason, I thought I had to pay 50% and then 50% on pickup, which I was ready for. I was not ready to pay the entire minimum cost, which amazingly actually was only $200 more than the 2,500 that I put in my checking on Tuesday night. I performed some quick mental accounting and cavalierly just handed them my debit card.

The X rays were not on the billing estimate. I know that Dr. Walker is planning to do both legs and hips, so I know that I'll owe a bit more when I pick her up. I also know that I'll owe a bit for the overnight stay. So, the balance will go on a credit card, which I will then transfer to a low interest card.

We had to wait while they got a room ready for her. Then, the receptionist came back with a green leash with a loop in it. She asked me to take off Penny's coat, collar, and leash. I did. Then, the receptionist, a nice young woman, tried to get the rope over Penny's head. Penny balked. She tried a couple more times and then asked me to loop it over her head. I did. Penny and she stood up and started walking toward the back. The receptionist commented on how well she is walking today.

I watched them disappear behind the swinging doors. I felt like a traitor. I picked up the bill, my purse, Penny's coat, leash and collar and walked to my car. I sat in my car, tears in my eyes, before starting the car and driving.