Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Penny is hurt again; search for surgeon intensifies

Last night, Penny and Rox were walking up the hill in back of my house. Rox let Penny pick the route and Penny meandered toward the driveways east of the bike trail. Rox was on the phone with her husband. A car started or something happened that spooked Penny. She jumped and ran. Rox had the leash wrapped around her wrist and did not react quickly enough. She fell, scraping her hand. I think she may have even been dragged a few feet.

This morning, Penny is a three-legged dog. She won't let her right leg touch the ground. Her forehead is wrinkled and her dark eyes look sad.

I've been in denial. Penny's been pretty solid the last two months or so. I was wondering whether we could squeak by, like my sister-in-law Carole did with her big dog, by limiting exercise and not spending money on surgery. As of this morning, the conservative approach is no longer an option.

I revisited the list I made of the TPLO certified surgeons in Seattle and decided that I would talk to Critical Care and Emergency Services. I've already had a consultation with Animal Surgical Clinic of Seattle . Animal Surgical Clinic is the place that Dr. Heino recommends, mainly because they do so many surgeries. But, he has emphasized that any TPLO certified surgeon will do. I like Critical Care and Emergency Services because it is women-owned and Envirostar-certified.

Dr. Tamara Walker, the surgeon at Critical Care and Emergency services, seems young but competent. She has a big, pointy eared dog (a Kelpie). I would choose between her and Dr. Alan Johnson, based on how Penny reacts to them and their willingness to answer my questions. It's been a while since I saw Dr. Johnson, but he was nice enough, had a great handout, and was willing to answer my questions.

Penny has an appointment to see Dr. Walker on Thursday at 9:15 am.

In the meantime, I will probably buy the X Pen that Kirsten ordered for me tonight so that Rox and I will not have to carry Penny again... She came upstairs in the middle of the night, but refused to go down on her own. Imagine this: Rox and Seanna, both in their flannel pjs, struggling to lift Penny down a full flight of stairs. Penny, her heart racing, braces her feet on the floor. She claws at the floor whenever she contacts it. She is not dead weight -- she's resistant weight.

Rox and Seanna release Penny onto the floor and collapse, exhausted, onto the couch. What a great way to start the day.