Friday, March 7, 2008

Girly has an upset tummy

Last night, I gave Penny her Rimadyl and then her dinner of Natural Balance cereal and 1/2 can of venison and sweet potato. About 1/2 hour later, she vomited it all up. So, that's the 2nd vomiting incident that she's had.

This morning, she was was a three-legged dog. I, being of a suspicious nature, suspected that my housemate may not have controlled her as much as she should be. Rox denied it, but did say that Penny did pull a lot when she went out for potty break at the same time I was leaving to go to the emergency room. (Gustov bit me so I headed to the emergency room for antibiotics and a lecture about infectious cat bites. I drove to Rick's and he drove me to Swedish. Since this is a blog about Penny, we won't get into details.) Rox pointed out that Penny vomited up her pill when she vomited up her dinner. I now think that's what happened.

I calledACCES this morning about 8 am. Dr. Walker doesn't work on Fridays, but she had told me to that the staff could get a message to her. In the meantime, I had to take Horace to the vet because he was limping too so I planned to ask Dr. Heino. Dr. Heino was very concerned about the vomiting. He said once was not a big deal, but two means its a cycle, regardless of how many days separating the two incidences. So, he told me to have Penny fast for a couple of days. I can let her drink a little water today, and then the eve of the second day, she could have some chicken broth. If she does well, she can have a bland diet on Sunday. Baby food or cottage cheese. Or both. I got 2 kinds of medicines that will coat and calm her tummy and help it heal. I got a different anti-inflammatory pills that she can start taking on Monday.

Penny, Horace, and I will both be pill poppers. Horace has a bite on his foot and will be taking antibiotics 2 x a day, I'm on antibiotics for the cat bite, and Penny will be taking 4 pills 2 x a day.

ACCES called while I was at Dr. Heinos. According to Ursula (I love that name!), Dr. Walker said only be worried if Penny seemed in pain. I explained that she was in pain but that Dr. Heino was more concerned about the vomiting. Ursula asked that they get some sort of report about her current medication. I relayed the message to Marlena, but I am unsure whether that report will be faxed because Rainier Vet is in the middle of transitioning ownership from Dr. Heino, who I love, to Dr. Kung. The office is even more chaotic than usual!

No comments: