Sunday, March 2, 2008

Status on 3rd day

Penny has spent two nights at home after the surgery and seems relatively comfortable. She is walking on both legs, and seems to be putting some of her weight on the left leg (the leg that had the TPLO surgery). No more toe touching for this kid!

Her leg is quite swollen and there is a 3-inch suture on it. She still has redness on her calf that will turn purple and yellow as it heals.

She's chewing anxiously. Rick stopped by yesterday and stayed with her while I ran to Ideal and bought raw bones and bully sticks for her. She occasionally licks the sutures and I tell her "no." I plan on stopping by Ideal again to pick up her E-collar that I left there from she pulled her toe nail out by jumping on a crack, wedging in the nail, and then jumping away. Ow!

Yesterday, I also bought pill pouches while I was at Ideal. They don't work. Thankfully, she likes the Rimadyl, which is a liver-flavored large bill that is supposed to reduce swelling. The antibiotics, Cephalexin, also are not a problem. They are two-toned green capsules that I can just coat with cream cheese> Once coated, they're just another treat! The pain reliever, Tramadol, is what she can't stand. These little white pills must taste odious because they make her salivate excessively. I've hidden them in cream cheese, natural balance sausages, cheddar cheese, and the pill pockets. She knows their smell and refuses to open her mouth for the supposed treat. If I can get the pill into her mouth, she spits it out, regardless of the yummy tastes surrounding the pill. I've taken to pilling her, which is a far cry from pilling a cat.

With pilling a cat, all you do is open the cat's mouth and sling the pill down the throat as far as possible. If your aim's not good, maybe you poke it down a bit with a finger. Then, you close the cat's mouth and massage her throat. I'm an expert pill slinger -- with as many cats as I have, I've got to be. With Penny, pilling is a little bit different. You open up her mouth and then push the pill as far as you can down her throat. I need to put my entire hand past my wrist in her mouth to make sure she doesn't spit it out. Uggh. Then you pull back your hand, close her mouth, and wait for her to swallow. After that, you go to the sink and wash your dog spit covered hand and arm off.

Thankfully, Dr. Walker said that she doesn't need this pill. But, she's so anxious at night, I've been giving it to her to help her sleep. And, it does help her sleep. She's been sleeping very peacefully in her X-cage. I know because I am sleeping right next to her on three couch cushions. The cats prefer to sleep on the bed, especially when I leave the electric blanket on for them. And, there's more room for them to sprawl out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the silly pill pockets didn't work but I am glad she doesn't need the pill anymore. I need to stop by and drop off some more stuff...oh, the poop bag dispenser is a "Petco" brand :( sorry.